Frequently Asked Questions
Contact Us

Business Licensing

8000 S. Redwood Road

West Jordan, UT 84088

(excluding all state and federal holidays)

8 a.m.- 5 p.m.

Who needs to register their business?   
In most cases, all businesses in Utah are required by law to register with the Utah Department of
Commerce, Division of Corporations and Commercial Code, the Utah Department of Workforce Services, the Utah State Tax Commission, the Utah Labor Commission, Internal Revenue Service and with local municipalities, including the City of West Jordan, to obtain a business license. In addition, certain types of businesses need special licenses and permits in order to operate (i.e., insurance agents, contractors, doctors and dry cleaners, etc.). 
Why are businesses required to register?
1. Registration ensures that the business name cannot be legally used by another business. The more you use the registered name and become known to the public by name, the more legal protection your name earns against "predatory encroachment" by other businesses. 

2. Registration creates a comprehensive state registry of all business and corporate information for public reference. This information is vital to an orderly legal system and marketplace. Without it, the public or other businesses may have no way of knowing the persons with whom they are doing

3. In addition, registration is required by law to provide public notice as to who owns or stands behind a business entity. You cannot file a lawsuit in court as a business if your business is not registered. Registration enables careful business people to verify information about companies with whom they do business.

The following steps need to be completed prior to applying for a West Jordan business license:
Utah Department of Commerce/State Tax Commission requirements (this is just an overview of what is needed by the state, additional items may be required):
1. All new businesses need to register their business with the Utah Department of Commerce and
obtain all required registrations and numbers. You will register your business for the following:
business name for a "D.B.A." (Doing Business As) number, Corporation, General/Limited Partnership, Limited Liability Company/Partnership, etc. Registration can be done either in person or by mail at the Utah State Tax Commission, 150 East Center, Room 1300, Provo, Utah 84606 or online.

2. Businesses involved with the sale of a tangible product must provide evidence of a State Sales Tax number. You may obtain the sales tax number at the same time as you register your business, at the Utah State Tax Commission, 150 E. Center, Room 1300, Provo, Utah 84606 or at 210 N. 1950 West Salt Lake City, Utah.

What is required for all new West Jordan business applicants?
1. If conducting business under an assumed name (D.B.A. "doing business as"), register the business name with the Utah Department of Commerce. (See State Requirements section.) 
2. Business name, physical and mailing address and phone number of business. 
3. Home address, phone number, and birth date of owner/manager. Local address and phone number of Agent for process of service. 
4. Federal Tax ID or Social Security number
5. Driver's License number 
6. Type of business, total square footage of business space. 
7. Sales Tax number, occupational or professional license number if applicable. 
8. Fees

How do I apply for a City of West Jordan Business License?
Please contact the Business License Coordinator for specific forms, information and requirements if your business entity is:
1. Temporary or itinerant in nature 

2. Involved with the sale or consumption of alcohol 

3. Door-to-door soliciting or mobile ice cream vending 

4. A sexually oriented business 

5. Firearms dealer 

6. Pawn shop or a secondhand dealer   
Apply for a business license

How much does it cost to apply for a business license in West Jordan? 
All of these fees are to be paid at the time of filing the application and can be combined on one check.
Application (development services) fee:
  $50 for all applications

Commercial business licensing fees
(These fees may be prorated, call before paying.)   

  • $75.00 base fee for all businesses employing up to 10 people

  • $100.00 base fee for all businesses employing 11 to 50 people

  • $150.00 base fee for all businesses employing 51 to 250 people

  • $250.00 for all businesses employing 251 to 500 people = $750.00

  • $300.00 for all businesses employing 501 plus people = $750.00

  • $3.00 per full-time employee and $1.50 per part-time employee for each employee if the business has less than 250 employees

  • $1.00 for each full-time equivalent employee in excess of 250 employees


Fire department application processing/inspection fee

  • $28.00 Small Business 1-10 employees

  • $79.00 Medium Business 10-50 employees

  • $107.00 Large Business 51 or more employees

  • $29.00 Home Day Care 0-6 children

  • $58.00 Group Home 7-50 children/adult, etc.

  • $106.00 Nursing Home, etc.


Home occupational business licensing
(These fees may be prorated, call before paying.)

  • $40 Business licensing fee

  • $50 Development services fee, for all new applications


When do I renew my license for the next year?
Statements will be sent out 30 days prior to the date of expiration indicated on the current and valid licenses issued by the City. Businesses operating while license fees remain due and unpaid 30 days after the expiration will be assessed a penalty.

What are the penalties if the payment is late?
Those businesses that fail to pay the renewal fees on time will be assessed a penalty in the amount of 50% of the total amount of the license fee the day after the due date. Business license fees that
remain unpaid for 60 days will incur an additional 50% penalty of the total amount of the original
license fee due. If the renewal and penalties are not paid with 15 days of receiving the final notice
legal action will be initiated by the City for prosecution and revocation of business license.

What if my business undergoes changes during the year?
If during the course of the license year, any information pertaining to the business changes, such as location, square footage, mailing address, phone number, or local contact, the licensee is required by law to notify the business license office of these changes within a 10 day period. If ownership of business changes businesses are required to re-file an application. If additional business outlets are opened, a separate application is required.

Utah State Agencies 
Utah Department of Commerce Division of Corporations and Commercial Code
Business Name Registration  – "D.B.A."
160 E. 300 South
SM Box 146705
Salt Lake City, UT 84114


Utah Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control
1625 S. 900 West
P.O. Box 30408
Salt Lake City, UT 84130-0408 

Utah Department of Public Safety Bureau of Criminal Identification 
5400 S. 3888 West
P.O. Box 148280
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-8280

Utah Department of Commerce
Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing
160 E. 300 South
Salt Lake City, UT 84114
801-530-4849, 801-530-6628

Utah State Tax Commission 
210 N. 1950 West
Salt Lake City, UT 84134
800-662-4335, 801-297-2200 

Mayor and Council Districts      District Map

Mayor Dirk Burton

Councilmember Chris McConnehey (District 1)

Councilmember Melissa Worthen (District 2)

Councilmember Zach Jacob (District 3)

Councilmember David Pack (District 4)

Councilmember Chad Lamb (At Large)

Councilmember Kayleen Whitelock (At Large)

Councilmember Kelvin Green (At Large)

© 2019 by City of West Jordan. Created by M2K

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon