City Attorney Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between the West Jordan City Attorney and the Salt Lake County District Attorney?

The City Attorney is the attorney for West Jordan City in all of its functions as a municipal corporation. The role of the City Attorney is similar to that of the general counsel of a large private corporation. The attorneys in the Office provide legal advice and services to the Mayor, the City Council, City officials, staff, departments, boards, commissions, and related City entities. The District Attorney is an elected official of Salt Lake County government serving all of Salt Lake County.


What is the difference between the City Attorney's Office and the City Prosecutor's Office?

The City Prosecutor's Office is a part of the City Attorney's Office.The City Prosecutor's Office handles only criminal law matters, primarily misdemeanors in the West Jordan City Justice Court. The City Prosecutor's Office also handles certain criminal law matters in the Utah Third District Court. The other divisions of the City Attorney's Office handle civil law matters.


Who does the City Attorney work for?

The attorneys in the City Attorney's Office represent the City of West Jordan.  They perform legal services for City officials, departments, agencies, and employees in the course of their official acts or business.


Can the City Attorney's Office represent private citizens who do not have funds to hire a private attorney?

No, the City Attorney's Office may not represent individuals in private legal matters. The City Attorney's client is the City of West Jordan as a municipal government, not individual members of the public.


Should I report possible crimes or code violations to the City Attorney's Office?

No. Reports of possible crimes should be made to the West Jordan Police Department. Reports of possible violations of building/housing codes, land-use and or zoning laws, or public nuisances should be made to the Code Enforcement or Building & Safety Department.

I believe I have been damaged by the actions or negligence of the City or one of its employees and I have a claim for damages. How do I do that?

The City's Risk Manager can help you file a claim against the City. Email the Risk Manager for more information or call 801-569-5147.



Utah Code

Utah State Legislature

Utah State Bar - Lawyer Locator 

Justice Court

Police Department 

Animal Control

Code Enforcement

Mayor and Council Districts      District Map

Mayor Dirk Burton

Councilmember Chris McConnehey (District 1)

Councilmember Melissa Worthen (District 2)

Councilmember Zach Jacob (District 3)

Councilmember David Pack (District 4)

Councilmember Chad Lamb (At Large)

Councilmember Kayleen Whitelock (At Large)

Councilmember Kelvin Green (At Large)

© 2019 by City of West Jordan. Created by M2K

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • Twitter Social Icon