Early voting for the Primary Election is June 18-21, from 3-7 p.m., at City Hall. For more information visit SLCO Elections

New Business License

To apply for a new business license, click here or the button below. For questions regarding business licensing please feel free to contact us directly by phone 801-569-5010 or email: business.licensing@westjordan.utah.gov.

Business License Renewal

Business license renewal invoices are e-mailed to businesses 45 days before the expiration of the current license. Business owners must then pay the invoiced amount to renew the license. Payment can be made by mail, in person, or over the phone. The City accepts cash, checks, Visa and Mastercard.

If you are no longer in business, or if you have questions about your renewal invoice, please call Business Licensing: 801-569-5010 or email: business.licensing@westjordan.utah.gov

Business Licensing FAQs

How do I apply for a business license?

The City of West Jordan offers an online application portal for business licenses. To apply, please visit our Application Portal.

How do I start an application?

To start an application, please visit our Application Portal.

I applied for a business license but have not received a confirmation email. What should I do?

If you have registered with Cityworks and have not received a confirmation email within a few minutes of your submission, please check your SPAM or JUNK folder. If the email is not there, please contact our support team for further assistance:

What documents do I need to apply for a business license? 

The following documents are required to apply for a business license:

  • Verification that your business name has been registered with the Utah Department of Commerce.
  • Sales Tax Number (if selling a tangible product). A copy of the Utah State Sales Tax Certification with West Jordan listed as a receiving entity is required.
  • Verification of Federal Employee Identification Number (EIN).
  • Valid ID or Driver’s License.
  • Copy of DOPL (Professional License), if applicable.
How do I make a payment?

After our review is complete, you will receive an email from Cityworks with instructions to make the payment. To proceed, log back into your account on the portal, select “Actions,” and pay the fees. Please note that American Express is not accepted. You may pay with a Debit Card, Visa, Discover, or MasterCard.

How do I register my business name?

To register your business name, please contact the Utah Department of Commerce at 801-530-4849 or visit their website at corporations.utah.gov.

How do I obtain a sales tax number if I am selling a tangible product?

To obtain a sales tax number, please contact the Utah State Tax Commission at 801-297-2200 or visit their website at tax.utah.gov.

How can I verify my inspection time?

If an inspection is required, the inspection department will contact you to schedule it.

Do I need a permit from the Salt Lake County Health Department or from the South Valley Water Reclamation Facility?

Health Department: If the nature of your business requires approval of the Salt Lake County Health Department, whether it is the Bureau of Food Protection or the Bureau of Sanitation & Safety, they will receive a copy of your application. You are responsible for contacting them and meeting any of their requirements. This includes ALL Beauty Salons, Nail Salons, Massage Therapy, Reiki, Food Services, Doctors, Dentist, etc. Both bureaus are located at 788 E Wood Oak Lane, Murray, UT. 385-468-3860

South Valley Water Reclamation Facility: If the nature of your business requires any disposal of any pollutants, chemicals, oils and/or grease, the South Valley Water Reclamation Facility will receive a copy of your application for approval. You are responsible for contacting them and meeting any of their requirements. Grocery and convenient stores, restaurants, manufacturing industries and auto repair facilities are some examples of applicable businesses. The South Valley Water Reclamation is located at 7495 S 1300 W, West Jordan. 801-566-7711.

Is a business license transferable from city to city?

No, business licenses are not transferable between cities. You must apply for a new license if you are moving, purchasing an existing business, or changing the ownership structure. Please refer to Code 4-1B-24 for more details.

How much does a business license cost? 

For information on the cost of a business license, please refer to our Fee Schedule.

aerial view of West Jordan neighborhood