Fire Department FAQ

How can I schedule a tour at West Jordan Fire Department?

West Jordan has four fire stations. All can be toured. Station tours are a valuable way of providing service to the community. Tours are scheduled on a first-come-first-served basis. Every effort will be made to meet our appointments, but emergency calls are our priority and may disrupt the tour.

​Station tours can be scheduled by calling 801-260-7300 during business hours or submit the email form below. Below are the station locations and tour schedules for each.

West Jordan Fire Station #52
7950 S. Redwood Rd.
1st week, Tuesday, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. or 2 p.m. to 7 p.m.         

West Jordan Fire Station #54
9351 S. Hawley Park Rd. (5595 West)
2nd week, Wednesday, 2 p.m. to 7 p.m.

West Jordan Fire Station #55
7750 S. 6400 West
3rd week, Thursday, 2 p.m. to 7 p.m.

West Jordan Fire Headquarters/Station #53
7602 S. Jordan Landing Blvd.
4th week, Wednesday, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. or 2 p.m. to 7 p.m.

How can I request a Phase I Environmental Site Assessment?

Complete and submit a Records Request form

When can I shoot off fireworks?

Fireworks may be discharged July 2-5, July 22-25, December 31 and for Chinese New Year January 31 – February 1 in non-restricted areas. Personal fireworks are not allowed in city parks.

How do I get more information on a fire Investigation?

The purpose of the West Jordan Fire Investigations Team is to conduct post-fire inquiries into the origin and cause of fires within our jurisdiction. If you would like more information about our fire investigations team or need to speak with someone about an open case, please call 801.260.7300.

Can I have a fire in my backyard?

An open pit cooking fire is allowed as long as it is located 25′ from any building, fence, deck or anything that will burn. A source of water should be at hand to put out the fire, and the fire should not be left unattended. It is unlawful to burn leaves, tree limbs, or rubbish in your cooking pit. You are also responsible for the smoke produced by the fire. Please be considerate of your neighbors.

Can I ride along with the fire department?

While we appreciate the public interest in the work we do, we do not allow the general public to ride along. Because of issues related to limited space, patient confidentiality, and potential exposure to biological hazards, riders are limited to EMT and paramedic students through prearranged programs.

I am a business owner. When do I need a fire inspection and how do I schedule it?

A fire inspection is required for any new business license, existing businesses (biannually), daycare/pre-school (annually). To schedule an inspection, or if you have any questions, please email Deputy Fire Marshal Mike Jensen. Please include the business name, address, and best telephone number.

Can the West Jordan Fire Department fill my pool?

The fire department does not fill pools.

Does the West Jordan Fire Department install car seats?

Yes! The West Jordan Fire Department has Certified Child Passenger Safety Technicians who will be happy to inspect and teach residents about their child’s safety seat. Inspections are done by appointment only. If you would like to schedule an appointment, please call 801-260-7300. If you need your car seat installed on shorter notice (less than two weeks) please contact your local hospital or doctor’s office for suggestions on where to get a car seat check.

I am concerned about a neighbor burning material on his or her property. What can I do?

Residents are allowed to have a fire pit in their backyard as long as it meets the requirements (please see the FAQ: can I have a fire in my backyard).  This can be used as a cooking fire only and should not be used to burn any weeds or garbage. If you are concerned about a potential emergency or safety hazard, please contact 911. However, if you would like to file a complaint, contact the Utah Department of Environmental Quality’s Air Quality Complaint Hotline at 801-536-4123 or complete the Utah Online Complaint Form.

May I fly Chinese Lanterns in West Jordan?

Chinese Lanterns, also known as Khoom Fay, Paper Lanterns, or Sky Lanterns, are floating lanterns made from flammable materials that are lit like candles. They emit a stunning glow, stay lit for up to 20 minutes, and can travel several miles. While beautiful and exciting, these lanterns create an extreme fire hazard and are prohibited in any part of the City of West Jordan. 

My smoke detector is beeping… What does that mean?

A smoke detector will beep or “chirp” once every minute or so when the batteries need to be changed. Smoke detectors should be checked and vacuumed every 6 months to remove dust. Batteries should be changed annually or as instructed by the manufacturer. If your smoke detectors are hardwired, they probably are interconnected to each other so when one smoke detector beeps, they will all beep to notify everyone in the home to get out quickly.
If you have changed the batteries and cleared the dust from your smoke detectors and they are still beeping, take the detector off the wall and look at the back. It should tell you what the different beeps mean and give you a better idea of the issue.

Smoke detectors should be replaced every 10 years, including hardwired detectors. Like most electrical devices, smoke detectors wear out. If your smoke detectors are hardwired and need replaced, the homeowner should contact a licensed handyman or electrician since West Jordan Fire cannot service or change out a hardwired smoke detector.

Why do I see firefighters at the grocery stores? Am I paying for their food?

Firefighters are required to pay for their own meals. To make meals economical, they will go to the grocery store in their area and shop for lunch and dinner.

Do I need to keep my fire hydrant clear?

In case of an emergency, fire crews need to have immediate access to fire hydrants. The hydrant must not be damaged or inaccessible due to snow and debris! A fire can double in size every 2-3 minutes. It can be a significant delay in fire operations if an Engine crew needs to search for and clear out a hydrant.

  • During winter conditions it is very important to make sure the hydrants near your home or place of business are clear and free of snow. Do not push snow from parking lots up over hydrants.
  • Be sure that a three-foot area around the hydrant is clear of any debris or obstructions.
  • If you are concerned about how the hydrant looks on your property, you are more than welcome to beautify the space around it with flowers. But in doing so, be aware that the hydrant must be visible, accessible, and that the possibility of destruction of your plant life around the hydrant is very high during yearly testing or in the event of an emergency.
  • Do not park in front a fire hydrant.  A minimum 10-foot distance in front of a fire hydrant is required.
What do I need to operate or start a food truck in West Jordan City?

To operate a food truck in West Jordan City each business is required to have the following:

  1. Valid business license from the city that their commissary is currently located.
  2. Current inspection and tags from a Utah fire department. This will be in the form of a yellow inspection sticker that is good for one year and has the current year visible. This sticker will need to be renewed annually.
  3. Current tags and inspection from Salt Lake Valley Health Department.
  4. Absence of any of the above will result in you being asked to leave, excluded from future events and possible citation.

Steps to obtain a business license and fire inspection sticker for a food truck and commissary located in West Jordan:

  1. Contact business licensing at 801-569-5005 or visit our business licensing website to fill out the application and pay the fees.
  2. You will need to have a receipt showing that all fees have been paid before scheduling an appointment for inspection.
  3. Schedule a time that you can bring your food truck to Fire station 53 at 7602 South Jordan Landing Blvd. for inspection, which will need to be done annually.**

Fire Marshal’s Office
For more information or questions email:
Deputy Fire Marshal Mike Jensen at

**You must submit your business license application to the Business Licensing office before an inspection can be set up. **

What do I need if I am having an event that requires a tent or temporary structure?

Tent, Temporary Stage Canopy and Other Membrane Structures

  1. A tent is defined as a structure, enclosure, or shelter, with or without sidewalls or drops, constructed of fabric or pliable material supported by any manner except by air or the contents that it protects.
  2. A temporary stage canopy. A temporary ground supported membrane-covered frame structure used to cover stage areas and support equipment in the production of outdoor entertainment events.
    Tents, stages, and other membrane structures needing a permit:
  3. Tents with one or more sides over 400 square feet. (Single or combine sq. ft., including a 12-foot separation from any other tent or structure.) to get to 700 sq ft, ALL the requirements for the exception must apply
  4. Cooking tents used in an aggregate configuration. (Ten-foot separation)
    To avoid the permit requirement on multiple tents there must be a 12-foot space every 400 to 700 sq. ft.
    Temporary stage canopies more than 400 square feet (37m2) shall not be erected, operated or maintained for any purpose without first obtaining approval and a permit from the fire code official and the building official.
    Permitting process:
    All tents and other membrane structures shall comply with Chapter 31 of the currently adopted International Fire Code.
    Apply for the permit thirty (30) days prior to tent, stage canopy set up.
    Apply for permit online. The application will be reviewed for compliance to the fire code and the permit fee will be accessed.
    Payments can be made online or via check. All Checks should be made payable to West Jordan City.
    The permit application should contain the following:
  5. A complete site plan, including the location of fire access roads, hydrants, property lines, and the location of nearby structures.
  6. The California State Fire Marshal’s flame-retardant certification seal must be visibly displayed on the tent or canopy.
  7. A plan for the interior of the tent, including seating arrangements and the location and type of heating or cooking equipment.
  8. The time period for which the tent or structure is intended to be in place. No longer than 180 days per IFC Chapter 31 requirements.
  9. Temporary stage canopies shall not be erected for a period of more than 45 days.
    General Requirements for all Tents, Stage Canopies, & Temporary Structures:
  10. All tents and membrane structures must be properly secured in case of wind (40 mph basic wind speed and 90 mph 3-second gust). Securing of the structures is the responsibility of the owner/operator (refer to IBC 1609)
  11. A portable fire extinguisher with a minimum 2A10BC rating must be accessible within 75 feet walking distance of all tents/temporary structures, at a minimum, as required by section 906 of the IFC. All extinguishers require a current State Fire Marshal’s inspection tag. Inspection tags are required annually.
  12. No smoking signs must be provided in each permitted tent.
  13. Exits shall be clearly marked and lighted when the exits serve an occupant load of 50 or more.
  14. All compressed gas bottles must be secured at all times to prevent them from tipping over.
  15. Generators must be maintained at least 20 feet from any tent or temporary structure.
  16. No combustible waste can be stored within 30 feet of a tent or temporary structure.
    Cooking Tents or Areas:
    In addition to the general requirements, cooking tents must also meet these requirements:
  17. Flame retardant certification must be provided for all temporary structures utilized for cooking or heating of food. California State Fire Marshal’s flame-retardant certification seal must be visibly affixed to the tent.
  18. Tents where cooking takes place, or cooking tents in an aggregate configuration, must be at least 20 feet from any building or other tents. Aggregate cooking tents will maintain 10-foot separation from adjacent cooking tents.
  19. A portable fire extinguisher with a minimum 4A40BC rating (10lb. ABC) must be provided for each tent where cooking is taking place.
  20. If there are grease laden vapors present or a deep fat fryer is used, a 1.5-gallon Class K extinguisher is also required for every 4 fryers. Each extinguisher must have a current State Fire Marshal tag.
  21. LP gas cylinders, up to 500 gallons, must be stored outside and kept a minimum of 10 feet from any other structure. Cylinders capable of holding 501 gallons and greater shall require a 25-foot separation.
  22. Any open flame cooking or heat cooking will be supervised by an adult at all times. This adult will serve as fire watch and standby personnel to take prompt measures for extinguishment of fires that occur and assist in the evacuation of the public from the structure.

Derek Maxfield
Fire Chief

West Jordan, Utah

close up of West Jordan Fire Department's new fire engine