Recruiting / Hiring
The West Jordan Police Department accepts applications for Police Officers through a continuous hiring announcement issued through West Jordan City Human Resources. Applicants who successfully complete the initial application will receive notification when the next step in the hiring process is scheduled. Scheduling of the physical fitness examination for Non-Certified candidates will be done on an “as needed” basis.
Applicants are divided into four groups: Non-Certified, SFO/BCO, Certifiable/Currently Attending, and Certified/Law Enforcement Experienced. Applicants who successfully complete the initial application will receive notification when the next step in the hiring process is scheduled.
WJPD has updated pay scales which put our officers among the highest paid in the state. Qualified candidates can receive 1 for 1 service credit for previous law enforcement experience. They may also receive some credit for previous corrections experience. Check in with us directly for details.
- Health Insurance
- Mental Health: Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- HSA contribution
- Foreign language proficiency pay
- Retirement is through Utah Retirement Systems (URS)
- West Jordan City has regularly offered tuition reimbursement to city employees including the P.D.
- Currently WJPD offers qualifying applicants reimbursement for academy tuitions
Take Home Vehicle
All Officers are allowed a take home vehicle if their residence is within 50 miles from the border of West Jordan City.
All Uniforms & Equipment Provided
Dry cleaning and equipment cleaning provided.
WJPD is currently offering qualifying applicants tuition reimbursement for academy tuition
Officers accrue 13 days per year during years 0 – 4, beginning on the first paycheck. The highest accrual rate is 25 days per year for employees who have 20 plus years of service. Officers may accrue up to two years worth of vacation accruals.
All Police Department personnel are granted 112 holiday hours on January 1st of each year.
Sick Leave Accrual
Officers accrue 12 days per year to be used for personal illness or injury. Officers may convert 25% of accrued and unused time at the end of each fiscal year. Converted time can converted to vacation or cashed out at the end of the calendar year. Sick leave may be accumulated indefinitely.
WJPD offers two down-payment assistance programs totaling up to $45,000 in forgivable loan funds that may be used to assist a police department employee relocate to West Jordan City. (Certain restrictions apply.)
- Non-Certified Candidates: Are those individuals who have not attended POST (Peace Officer Standards and Training) or an equivalent police academy. This category typically includes Correctional Officers and those with only SFO (Special Functions Officer) certification.
- SFO/BCO Candidates: This category includes Correctional Officers and those with SFO (Special Functions Officer) & BCO (Basic Correctional Officer) certifications.
- Certifiable Candidates: Are those individuals who are currently attending a POST certified academy or have successfully graduated POST or an equivalent police academy (Category 1 Peace Officer certification from another state) but do not have any law enforcement experience.
- Certified Candidates: Are those individuals who have successfully completed the police academy and have police officer experience with a state or local law enforcement agency or department. This may include those that have worked as an Agent with AP&P (Adult Probation and Parole) in a position that requires LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) certification. This category is also frequently referred to as Lateral Candidates.
Preference is given to applicants for the following:
- Military experience
- Prior police service/lateral
- Corrections Experience
- College degrees from regionally accredited universities
- Foreign language proficiency
WJPD Specialty Divisions
At West Jordan officers have the opportunity to work in a progressive, full service police department. Our officers have the opportunity to take advantage of special assignments, promote through the ranks, and enjoy a career full of opportunity.
- Traffic Investigations
- Gang Enforcement
- Warrant Officer
- Professional Standards and Training
- Crisis Negotiation
- School Resource
- Task Forces: VFAST – Metro Gangs – JSOG – ICAC – SECURE
All applicants must complete the hiring process in order to receive a final offer of employment. If selected for hire by the Chief, the candidate will receive a conditional offer of employment and must pass a Truth Verification Analysis, Psychological Evaluation, and Medical Evaluation to receive a final offer of employment. If a non-certified candidate is hired, they will be sent through the POST academy by the department and will receive all benefits afforded to a full-time police officer of West Jordan.
Certifiable and Certified/Lateral applicants DO NOT have to complete a Physical Fitness Test or Written Examination.
- Application – All applications must be filled out correctly and include the required attachments
- Personal Background Investigation – First Review
- Physical Fitness Test/Requirements HERE – (Non-Certified ONLY)
- Preliminary Panel Interview – (Non-Certified & Certifiable/Currently Attending ONLY)
- Personal Background Investigation – Full Investigation
- Chief of Police Panel Interview
- Conditional Offer of Employment
- CVSA, Psychological Examination, & Medical Examination
- Final Offer
Appointment by the Chief
Candidates who pass these examinations will be subject to hiring at the discretion of the Chief of Police, in accordance with Human Resources.
This form is for employment questions only. For emergencies call 911 or contact dispatch to report a crime at 801-840-4000.
West Jordan, Utah